Monday, October 02, 2006

The Apprentice (sans the Donald)


I finished reading the book "The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen" by Jacques Pepin on Saturday. I was reading it in preparation for a class at Central Market cooking school next weekend.

The class "Eat this Book: Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice" is being hosted by the cooking school manager Kelly Ann. It is the inaugural book club meeting, in which I hope to become a regular, featuring food writings.

It was actually a very easy read. You think "celebrity chef", you never imagine the beginnings they have. I'm sure many of the "flash in the pan" celebrity chefs have not endured (or even imagined) the hardships and the extensive experience that Chef Pepin has. I personally had no idea. He has lived his entire life in food and has a truly amazing story.

Anyway, I will fill you in on how the book club meeting goes next weekend. We are going to enjoy food featured in his book as well! Bon Appetite Y'all...