Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Private Party

I got called last week to work a private party at the cooking school on Sunday night. I figured a Sunday night group would probably relate to about 10-12 people. I showed up at 2:00pm on Sunday afternoon and found out we were setting for 40 people! Some entrepreneurs group.

It was a wine tasting class with accompanying food. The menu was pretty great. Here's what was served:

* Oysters with Champagne Demi and caviar with Gran Gesta, Brut Cava, Penedes, Spain (a sparkling wine (can't be called a champagne if it isn't from Champagne, France)).

*Summer Gazpacho with Jumbo Lump Crab with Xarmant Txakoli, Ammurio Spain

* Roasted Side of Salmon with Yellow-Tomato Salsa with Carmel Road Pinot Noir, Monterrey, California

* Baked Penne with Eggplant & Ricotta Salata with Casa Zuliani Cabernet Franc, Italy

*Roasted Stone Fruits with Bitter Cocoa Sorbet & Mango Creame with Coppo Brachetto d'Aqui, Piedmont Italy

Only about a quarter of the class cared that there was a cooking lesson going on. They were there to smooze (and seemingly talk louder than their neighbor). It was a lot of fun though. Paul, Vance, and Meredith were all on hand as the Central Market chefs and there were four volunteers in all. I got to do a lot of the plating. I also made the Bitter Cocoa Sorbet and Mango Creame and helped out with the other dishes. I was probably the most junior volunteer there, but like to believe that I was one of the stronger ones, if not strongest (culinary skills wise).

I also signed up to volunteer for some of the upcoming fall classes. There are a couple of impressive guest chefs coming (that I didn't sign up for) such as Princess Diana's chef.

We got out of there around 10:30 after trying a glass of the sparkling wine. I had to be up just after 5:00 am yesterday, so it made for a short sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home