Sunday, July 23, 2006

Nasty Bits


Well I finished the Anthony Bourdain book, The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones yesterday. It amazes me how someone who writes so beautifully, so eloquently, can also be so dirty, so "colorful". He is truly a great writer in my opinion (and obviously many others).

The book is broken up into five sections: Salty, Sweet, Sour, Bitter, and Umami (the basic tastes). Some of the stories told, I was able to recount seeing on his television show , No Reservations, on the Travel Channel. My husband and I try to watch this show together whenever possible. We are both big fans.

I really enjoyed reading, A View From the Fridge (a chapter from the Sour Section). Even having worked in the hospitality industry in High School, I still learned a little about "behaving" in a restaurant and what I can expect as a result of my actions. It also reminded me of an article I read last week in Olive magazine, "How to dine" by Terry Durack. The article was not about restaurant etiquette, but on how to really eat and experience a meal.

I definitely recommend Nasty Bits as a good read (I finished it in three sittings). And just when I think Bourdain can discourage me from ever wanting to be a part of the industry, I get sucked in even more. I love being a foodie, and can't wait for the day I can become someone "in the business".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home