Friday, March 31, 2006

Unsatisfied in Nashville

So all good things must come to an end right? I have had great luck with my restaurant experiences lately. That was until Nashville...

I was in Nashville Tuesday and Wednesday this week on business. I was driving around Tuesday night looking for a place to eat (by myself) and decided instead of just settling for the Ruby Tuesday's, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. I would try to find someplace nice where I could enjoy a glass of wine and a delicious meal. Well I thought I found a nice place, but the delicious part was what I had wrong.

I chose to eat at the Merchant's in downtown Nashville. It was a quaint establishment with an attractive sounding menu displayed in the front display, with a Simple monogram "M" adorning the front window. I was given the option of eating on the 2nd floor fine dining room or first floor bar (the 3rd floor is reserved for private parties). I chose the bar and plopped myself down in a booth with my server Dave on hand immediately. It was an old building with brick and crown molding. However, the bar stools look like they came out of some cheap hotel dining room from the 80s and the booth upholstery had seen better days. The wood floors were beautiful, as was the bar.

Dave chose a wine for me, at my request, which I did enjoy. It was Mia's Playground, a red Zinfandel. Then I ordered a Lobster and Crab fondue as an appetizer. It was definitely meant for a group of 2-4, but it wasn't too bad. It was served very hot (good point), but the garlic toasts were a little greasy, the shrimp was overcooked, and there was an overwhelming spice taste that I couldn't put my finger on. Next I ordered the incredible sounding Pan Seared Scallops with Braised Leeks, and Butternut Squash Hash. It was pretty, garnished with roasted corn and red pepper. Again, it was served very hot, the scallops were perfectly cooked (just slightly raw in the middle), but I couldn't taste scallop or butternut squash. There was some kind of sausage in the hash that consummed the flavor of everything. I ate a few bites and pushed it away. I told my server that it was bad, very bad. He said he was sorry I didn't like it and that it was one of his favorites and that was the end of it.

I guess I should have enjoyed a margarita and a snack at Ruby Tuesday's instead. I would have enjoyed it more and it wouldn't have cost me $65.00(after tax/tip)!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the bad experience - there are many wonderful restaurants in Nashville and it is a fun, fun place for listening to music. AND I love the new format of your blog. Very classy !

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home