Friday, March 10, 2006

Date Night


I have to agree yet again with Food & Wine for their superstar chef picks. Our visit to Uchi was great! We started the evening outside with a drink (we had to wait a little over an hour for a table). It was a good chance to people watch and have an actual conversation with my hubby.

Then we were seated at the Sushi bar for our meal. I ordered a Sake (which I wasn't a fan of) and then a red wine. At this point I was feeling very much out of my element. I was on the end of the bar, right by the front door, in view of all the patrons entering and exiting, with my inadequacies in chop stick use and nary a fork or knife in site. However, a few minutes later I was thrilled to learn we were being taken care of the Head Sushi Chef, Vu Le (such a fun guy) and well on our gastronomic roller coaster ride.

I have never been a sushi fan. Correction, I have never had really good sushi. Everything we had (raw or not) was a perfect melange of flavors and so artistically presented.

Here is a list of what we shared:
*Apple Sorbet- to cleanse the pallet
*Uchiviche - citrus-marinated striped bass, salmon, tomatoes, bell peppers, cilantro, garlic, and thai chilies.
*Avo Bake - creamy baked tiger shrimp and krab, served in a grilled avocado (My favorite of the night)
*Crunchy Tuna - spicy bluefin tuna roll with avocado, warm tempura flakes, balsamic reduction and toasted black and white sesame
*Madai Carpaccio - fresh, thinly-sliced New Zealand black snapper served with tangerine-infused oil and maldon sea salt
*Hotate Chokhu- Seared scallops and hon shimeji mushrooms on roasted artichoke hearts with with living watercress and yukari vinaigrette
*Maple Ice Cream with Tempura Apples

Is your mouth watering yet?

I had asked our server if she could have Tyson Cole sign a copy of the menu for me (since I forgot to bring my F&W issue with me). She obliged and brought it back to me with our bill. Then Tyson appeared behind us with a complimentary additional dessert and introduced himself to us. We tried his Hydroponic Basil Sorbet which is indescribable. You really need to try it if given the chance. It was a perfect end to our meal.

As far as the restaurant itself, it is a refurbished old house and quite small. The main wall is painted red with a floral motif and the ceiling is a gray-turquoise. You can check out the decor on Uchi's website. From our seat at the Sushi bar, we were privy to all the action, including a clear view into the kitchen, where we could see Tyson and staff preparing their edible works of art. The staff seemed relaxed and Mr. Cole quite subdued (perhaps deceptively so).

After dinner, we went for a drive downtown and grabbed a latte before returning home.

All in all it was a wonderful evening, and a reminder of why we have been together for over twelve years! :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Smashli said...

Sounds wonderful, although all that fish is pretty icky! I have picked up a tip from your last two posts though - just ask the chef to sign something and you get great service and free food!!

I'm glad you are having time to enjoy these outings... we'll do it when I come visit too!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home