Monday, March 06, 2006

The Driskill Grill

We had a wonderful dinner at the Driskill Grill on Saturday evening. It was a sort of going away dinner for my brother-in-law who will be moving to China this month and a "kid" free night out with the in-laws visiting. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of the meal, even if not every individual flavor.

David Bull, the Executive Chef of the Driskill Grill, was named one of America's Best New Chefs in the July 2003 edition of Food & Wine magazine. I think he was 28 at the time. Quite an accomplishment in my book (I am sad to say he is younger than I). And what a great guy. We had the chance to meet him on Saturday evening when he came to our table, with my signed cookbook I had requested, and answered a few questions I had presented to our server about the meal.

We enjoyed drinks, a three course menu, and dessert. My brother-in-law brought a couple of special bottles of wine from his collection in California for us to enjoy that evening. I need to get the specifics from him on what we had...

Here is what I had personally for dinner (besides tasting others dishes as well):
Margarita on the Rocks
Amuse Bouche-Smoked Halibut with Meyer Lemon
First Course-Heirloom Tomatoe Salad with Fresh mozzarella Puree, Toast Crisps, and a lemon -vinaigrette (sorry I don't have the menu description on this one).
Second Course-Pistachio Crusted Sea Scallop: Scallop Quenelle, Chanterelle Mushrooms, Truffled Herb Salad - This was my favorite of the evening. Melt in your mouth!
Third Course-Pan Roasted Breast of Duck: Sunchokes, Braised Lettuce, Sunflower Sprouts, Apple-Raisin Hollandaise.
Dessert-Coffee and Chocolate Ganache Cake with Fresh Raspberries and Gold Leaf. (Also don't have the menu description for this).

I would love to go back and try the Chef's Nine Course Tasting Menu.

As far as the dining room itself, I was expecting it to be a little more modern, but it is true to its Texas roots, a quaint, elegant dining room, with beautiful Italian linens. However, the modern French China seemed a little out of place with the traditional silver (I was informed they are waiting on the new stuff) and historic decor.

The verdict is, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and highly recommend it to anyone visiting Austin (it was my first time eating there in the seven years I've lived here). The flavors were purposeful and beautifully combined and the presentation was stunning! And our server was knowledgeable, she put up with my million questions, and was a sweetheart.

You can check out the Driskill Grill and David Bull's Bio at http://www.driskillgrill.com.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ! Sounds Yummy ! AND the ambiance can't be too bad, either, if it is located in the Driskill Hotel ! That is such a gorgeous place !

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home