Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Sunday Evening Blues...

Sunday evenings aren't usually fun. The laundry, getting clothes ready for the Monday morning meetings, getting my son to bed at a decent hour and getting his stuff set out for the next morning at day care. Also, thinking about getting up to go off to work and surviving another week.

I have been thinking more and more about cranberry Relish this weekend. I have had many ideas for my website design, my menu, my services offerings,etc. However, it is a little depressing in that I have no idea when it will come to be. We currently have no plans to move North of the border and no Green Card in site, so I wait.

When I started university, no one was diving into the "Culinary Arts" that I knew of. I did was I thought I was supposed to do. I went to school and got an Engineering Degree.

Now days (am I started to sound old or what) shows on the Food Network, Hell's Kitchen, etc. have made being a Chef (or something related) a respected position. Has it become too trendy? I am concerned that my venture into "Chef-dom" and catering is coming at the wrong time. I would hope that those who know me would say that it has been in me all along. My love of cooking, entertaining, and hosting is a part of me that brings me joy. It is my fun! I have been recently volunteering at a recreational cooking school. I help with the prep, serving, dishes, and whatever else is required. Even elbow deep in the piles of dishes, I feel comfort and actually enjoy being there. I dare to say I feel like I belong.

It's a bit scary to think of making the transition into a new career, a new lifestyle of off-hours, and un-ventured territory, but I sit here with a smirk on my face as I imagine the future of cranberry Relish. :)


P.S. I finally finished reading Kitchen Confidential by Anothony Bourdain tonight. It is a great read (and I don't read many books) although somewhat colorful. Even non-foodies would enjoy it I think.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a quote from a famous entertainer who said, "The key to happiness at work is finding something you love to do and then getting paid to do it." I have had several jobs in my life, teaching school, working for a state education association, owning a real estate company, and while there were parts of every job I liked - I never found one that I had that feeling of "something I loved that I was getting paid to do."

If there is any way you can figure out how to follow your dream, I think you should do it. It is probably not an easy job and the glamour of the Food Network chefs probably doesn't portray the entire picture of long hours and hard work - but I certainly think it would be worth it. That's my unsolicited sermon for the day.

Good luck.

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home