Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Kisir Anyone?


Well I survived another cooking class last night. I was a last minute (well, actually Thursday) addition to the volunteer list and wasn't really looking forward to going. However, I was pleasantly surprised.

Ozlem Warren presented a beautiful class on Southern Turkish cuisine and stories of her homeland and traditions. She is a young gal, and very sweet, and brought a gift (bracelet or keychain) for every participant (including the volunteers) that she had her mother send from Istanbul. She also brought Turkish coffee pots (I bought one for hubby), books, cups, etc.

Here's what she served:
* Kisir (Spicy Bulghur Wheat Salad with Vegetables & Sour Pomegranate Syrup)
* Sigara Boregi (Crispy Cheese- & Herb-Filled Pastry Rolls)
* Kabak Mucveri & Sarimsakli Yogurt (Zucchini Fritters flavored with Dill & Garlic-Infused Yogurt)
* Hunkar Begendi (Sultan's Delight & Lamb Ragout with Tomatoes & Peppers on a Bed of Pureed Eggplant & Bechamel Sauce)
* Kunefe (Syrup-Soaked Cheese-Filled Shredded Phyllo with Pistachios)
* Turkish Coffee & Turkish Delight

The food was wonderful. The Lamb was outstanding. I got to make the Kunefe (as well as some prep on the other dishes). I guess my lack of geography made me think the food was going to be different. I was expecting a much heavier, more meat laden menu. Which I guess is more true of Northern Turkey.

Paul and Vance were the Central Market chefs on-hand. Vance was up to his usual antics like putting nutritional labels on my back and making "Vance" comments. Paul was cool and collected as usual, singing away.

It was a hectic night and my feet were aching by the time I got home. Plus after a cup of Turkish coffee, I couldn't get to sleep!

I am not scheduled for another class until mid July so I asked them to call me if they needed anyone for a class. I said I might go crazy if I had to wait that long to do a class. Paul said they didn't want that, they liked me "just borderline crazy" as is...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently these guys haven't seen you when you ARE going crazy. Take them for a ride in your car at lunch time and they'll have you scheduled every WEEK!!

-El Macho

Turkey makes me sleepy :(

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi, Adrian here, can't wait someday to taste some of the cooking skills you are getting. I am "lonely" with Carly and the kids gone(god I miss the kids) They are Regina for a few weeks to visit Great Grandma, man the house is empty and quiet. Love ya, can't wait to see you again, it's been far too long.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home